Liquid Nitrogen and TG Compartment Molded Freezing Bag
Storage media is also one of the important factors that influence stem cells activity, irrespective of the expensive costs incurred, HealthBaby persists to use liquid nitrogen as the storage medium to safeguard every child and family’s lifelong health. Best still, HealthBaby adopts sealed freezing bag for storage to eradicate cross-contamination24,25.
-196˚C Liquid Nitrogen Storage
- Only liquid nitrogen can keep stable -196˚C. Cord blood stem cells will suspend all physiological activities and remain dormant22,23
- Almost all public cord blood banks, including worldwide large blood banks, use liquid nitrogen for stem cells storage
- Most of the cord blood transplanted samples are stored in liquid nitrogen
- “No matter the cord blood stores in liquid nitrogen or vapor nitrogen, a cross-contamination might happen if containers are not airtight. Only seal the containers in a second, over-wrap bag for prevent eventual cross contamination24,25.” Therefore, some cord blood banks claim that liquid nitrogen causing cross-contamination is erroneously reported
TG Compartment Molded Freezing Bag
- FDA cleared and specially designed for cord blood storage and instant transplant
- Various public cord blood banks worldwide adopt the TG Compartment Molded Freezing Bag in storing cord blood, including New York Blood Center and Tokyo Blood Bank
- Closed system, eradicates the risk of cross-contamination24,25
- Multi-partition design, provides multiple applications in the future
- 3D design and even thickness, assures stem cells are cooled evenly in controlled rate freezer to maintain the viability
- Made by Teflon® and able to resist -240˚C without any risk of deterioration and break. Complied with international safety standards
- Over 90% of the successful transplant samples are stored in TG compartment molded freezing bag
- Cord Blood Association of Canada emphasized to adopt freezing bags to replace cryovials for stem cells storage
Most Asked Questions by Parents Related to Cord Blood Banking
Until June 2016, up to 113 diseases had been treated with cord blood transplants5,6. They could be divided into 7 categories, namely: Leukemia, Lymphomas, other Disorders of Blood Cell Proliferation, Inherited Disorders of Immune System, Inherited Metabolic Disorders, other Cancers and others.
Detail about 113 treatable disease please refer to Diseases Treated by Cord Blood Transplantation.
Cord blood and umbilical blood contain two different stem cells which are widely adopted in different medical aspects. Cord blood is a rich source of HSCs which can create the blood and immune cells. Cancers, blood-related, immunity and metabolic diseases can be treated by cord blood. Umbilical cord is a rich source of MSCs which can create structural and connective tissues. Apart from minimizing GvHD in directed and unrelated allogeneic cord blood transplants, MSCs can apply to chronic illnesses treatment, regenerative medicines as well as organ and tissue engineering. Since cord blood and umbilical cord are rich sources of different types of stem cells, they may help to repair the body in different ways.
Stem cells will stop all physiological activities and remain dormant in -196℃ liquid nitrogen. Therefore, the stem cells can be permanently stored theoretically19. Professor Hal E. Broxmeyer (microbiology and immunology) is a pioneer who advocates of cord blood stem cells cryogenic storage. He proved that stem cells stored for years were still very regenerative, indicating that the stem cells stored in 1985 and 1986 could still be applied to patients for transplant33.
On the contrary, there is no factual basis for the claim of stem cells being able to store permanently under -135℃. Noted that using the vapor nitrogen storage system would cause temperature fluctuation upon stem cells storage and thawing and seriously affect the viability of all samples' stem cells.
Almost all public cord blood banks, including worldwide large blood banks, use liquid nitrogen for stem cells storage.
Entrusted by most parents in Hong Kong1, Healthbaby has a very comprehensive service coverage. Apart from the traditional liquid nitrogen storage plan, HealthBaby also pioneered to provide the advanced BioArchive® System. All storage plan of HealthBaby adopts the expensive liquid nitrogen as storage medium to provide the most stable tempertature for stem cell viability, providing the most quality umbilical cord and cord blood storage service.
To cater for different needs of clients, HealthBaby's cord blood and umbilical cord storage plan have very flexible and comprehensive service plan. Regarding cord blood plan, clients could select the storage plan base on the storage and processing system needs.
The umbilical cord and cord blood service fee already includes registration fee, processing fee and 18 years storage fee, no any additional charge during the contracted year. Extra discounted would be provided for registering both umbilical cord and cord blood storage plan. HealthBaby existing customers and other cord blood bank customers could also enjoy special offers. Please contact us for deatils and any enquiries.
For more details of cord blood service plan please refer to Service Plan.